Roland IR3109 Shruthi-1 for sale.
  • SOLD.

• Hi, is it still avaible ? I' m in France
    thanks a lot
  • Yes, it is :)
    And I would prefer to sell to a fellow european, as there are perhaps less payment/shipping headaches. But I guess anywhere is good really.

[EDIT] No further contact from the chap above yet. It is still available.

It would be nice if it goes to someone that appreciates the Roland side of it, rather than someone just wanting a regular prebuilt Shruthi-1.
    The IR3109 is the same filter as used in lots of Roland classics. Like the SH101, MC 202 and the Jupiter 4, 6 & 8.
    It’s my favourite sounding filter of all the Shruthi’s so far.

And remember.. A perfectly good Boss PH-2 died to build it!

It was built by me instead of Olivier and his pet platypus. And it won’t come in a pretty bag with Indian’esque doodling on it. Hence, the bargain price :)
    I won’t be making more (not to sell anyway). There may not even be more PCB’s made for the IR3109 So it’s going to be one of the rarer Shruthi’s around.

• sorry, but I'm still all over it , I just have computer problems, . plus i just realised that my paypal account was just momentary disabled for being not used in a few months , just took me some time to fix the situation .
  • SOLD!

• SHRUTI-1 IR3109 WELL RECEIVED AND TESTED / SOUNDS GREAT !!!
  • I did send you a couple of emails.. But no matter, im glad it got there safely and you enjoy it :)

• sorry I lost access to my mailbox , but , I wanted to contact you ; I' m concerned about a bug that
    has been occuring since the last 2 days : periodically ( every30 seconds or so sometimes every 10 seconds (when editing a sound or just browsing through patches,) stuck parameters values come back : ENV1 attack at 79 , NOISE Volume at 31 , Portamento at 56 ... : this parameters values keep coming back again every minute or so , it' s driving me crazy !!!.

I was thinking about re - loading the firmware or try to apply V0.94, have you any idea , about what I shall try ?

thanks for everything .
  • There would have been plenty of possible causes (bad power supply) if these values were random. The fact that it’s always the same values makes me think that something is sending NRPN or CC to the Shruthi.

Try unplugging the MIDI in and play with the unit for a while. If the bug doesn’t happen, it’s definitely the MIDI source.

• I spent a good amount of time testing that before it left, I definitely would not have sent it out if it had any problems. Another 4 I built (including 2 IR3109 versions) don’t do this..
    Spurious midi data could certainly be responsible for that though. At a guess, I would think your sequencer is sending patch change messages, probably at the start of the first bar? Which will cause the edited patch to return to it’s default parameters (I learned this one the hard way! Doh!!)
    And yes, although the power supply might do this, it wouldn’t cause the same settings to repeatedly appear.

I will gladly check it out of course if you believe it to have some internal problem. But as pinchenettes indicated, it is almost certainly because of midi data being sent to it that you were not expecting. If you have some kind of midi data analyser, it may help confirm this.

You have my email address, so feel free to contact me if needed :)

PS, Firmware won’t change this, least of all 0.94. Im pretty sure it is a special, bespoke version that only changes how the portamento works. So unless you are interested in that, I would leave it at 0.93 for now.

• The latest firmware version is 0.93

• problem solved it waseffectively my sequencer/DAW who was actually sending these nonsense MIDI messages . really your build is excellent, the pots feel a bit light at first, but they ' re nicely accurate, and the orange and blue couple is actualy my favourite colour, i even often wear these colors, that Shruthi was truly meant and designed for me . thanks to eatyOne I followed the project since its origin, and as soon as I saw it using CEM3379's, I instantly thought of using Roland 80017A's instead, so I was a bit disappointed when I first saw the IR3109 design , why not using BA622's(they ' re a bit rare too). but I can' t even solder a guitar Jack cable, and then I heard IR3109 boards would not be produced anymore, and then you appeared like a gift from Gods , blessing me with the shruthi ' s first revelation .
    namasté
  • Im happy the problem is solved!

About using other chips.. I don’t think Olivier designs filters just for the sakes of using ‘rare’ chips. I get the impression it is about providing a variety of classic flavours, and also perhaps as an exercise to educate himself about various classic designs(?)

Re: BA662. Although it is rare.. It is simply an amplifier chip, no? I don’t think there is anything unusual or special about it, besides being hard to find. The same job can be done by lots of other modern, and readily available chips.
    As far as I know, VCO’s and VCF’s on a chip are not made any more however.. Hence resorting to using old stock, or using discrete components instead to achieve the same thing. Which means higher parts count.
    Im not a real expert like Olivier, but I believe this explains why the ‘modern’ SMR-4 filter board uses a lot more parts than most of the other filter boards. Yet they all do basically the same thing (Digital FX and dual SVF board being exceptions)

Enjoy the Shruthi :)

• The reason why I did this IR3109 board is explained on the site…

BA662 are plain single OTA – like a half LM13700. This chip has been used in the x0xb0x for sake of “accuracy”. The x0xb0x aims to be a clone so you can expect people to nitpick like hell about whether or not it matches the original. In my case I was not concerned about “cloning” anything… There’s no reason why BA662 would have a special sound. The IR3109 doesn’t have a special sound either, as I found out. It sounds… like the laws of physics make a particular configuration of transistors sound. What I found special about the Roland filters is the way they solve the “loudness drop when resonance is increased”. Lesson learned.

Luap is right about the part count bit. “VCF on chips” or “VCO on chips” do the job of 3 to 4 ICs and a handful of external resistors, so they were really helpful back in the days to build polysynths with a part count 1/3 of what it would have taken with a fully discrete design. This is why the SMR-4 is so bulky (well not entirely – this is also because I was a bit overzealous with buffering each stage)...