SSM2044 good source
  • for those who know they need the SSM filter:

i’ve bought a SSM2044 from this ebay seller and it works just fine.
    usually i’d take them from vintageplanet or utsource, but i gave this one a try, the price is very friendly:

curavon01

• I have purchased some from there and confirm the parts are OK.

• oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh shit!
    the guy from the UK with the good chips is no longer registered with ebay :(

anyone bought the some SSM2044 from UTsource yet?

those guys are even 4€ cheaper than those that curavon01 had. and i know utsource are a relieable seller, i’ve bought there too in the past.
    but has anyone had some SSM2044 from them? i need to get some before they go the CEM3379 way

• I’ve already bought some from fennyfenny2009 or leemoom611 and they were OK, but certainly not NOS – sometimes marking on top of the chip going away etc…

Oh boy I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with this anymore!

• I found one pretty cheap on eBay. It worked fine. $12 I think.

• Just bought an SSM2044 ($8.70) & SSM2164 ($6.70) from here. Hope they’re good. I will give the verdict when they arrive and I finish building the board.

• qp that’s a very good price really. pls let us know if it works.

• Will do!

• If the going gets rough I could spare some… Mine were Korg spare parts in a previous life.

• I ordered SSM2044 from polida2008. Next day I got this message:

“...Hello,could you kindly pay extra USD3.50 as registration fee. The parcel that is shipped to Germany may lost on the way, or it takes a long time to arrive there.In order to track the parcel, I hope you can pay it. If you don’t accept it, I am afraid that I have to cancel the order.Hope you can understand. Waiting for your early reply.

- polida2008…”

Not sure what to think about. I already payed via Paypal before I got this message.

• This is them wanting to ensure that the package is tracked. I’ve seen sellers who refuse to sell to countries where they had trouble in the past. This is their and your guarantee that the shipping at least is a transparent process.

• Yes and no, it could be a excuse to extort more money from you (since the extra fee wouldn’t be related to the item, they would be in the green if you canceled the item payment at some point).
    Might want to ask them to put up a new item with the correct shipping fee, that way they get their money, and you get your ebay buyer protection.. :)

• The chips came in. The 2164 looks legit. The 2044 is for sure new (NOS) but it looks almost too new. The print is bright white. Any pics I’ve seen the print isnt as vibrant. Gonna be a couple weeks till my next digikey order, so crossing my fingers.

• I thought that. Plus the printing on the 2044 I have is crooked, which must be how they did it back then.

• @qp: any news on this? are the chips working? i’m going to order a couple of 2164’s.

• sorry, I haven’t ordered the rest of the parts to build the board yet. All of my money lately has been going to the Ambika! I was planning on ordering the parts for the 2044 board in the next week or two.

For what it’s worth, I ordered the 2164 from the same vendor. When I got the 3 2164’s from a different vendor for the Ambika, I found that they were fake. I swapped one out with the 2164 I ordered along with the 2044 and it worked, so pretty good chance it will work. I’ll post here as soon as I get it going. Thanks for reminding me though!

• Got my 2164 from here. It looks okay, little new looking but it has the analog devices logo on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400308204586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• 99% of the SSM2044s on eBay are clones, but they seem to work. I have a theory that the schematic escaped when E-MU did a limited run of them for the SP1200 reissue in the 90s….

• Doug wellington is sitting on a pile of NOS. I got mine from him and they check out but I guess they might as well be on the moon..

• yep he’s got the best price i’ve ever seen, except from other midiboxers who bought them from the same run back then and gave them away without profit too. i wrote him a message or posted interest, i don’t know anymore, was ages ago.

• The 2164 I linked above works perfectly well.

• £18.74 a piece. Seriously? Any reason why you don’t get them at smallbear / mammoth?

• Just the time they took to arrive from the US, took a couple of weeks. I realise they’re pricey :)

• wow when i bought a bunch from Farnell back when they had them it was maybe 6-7€ / piece, and that was expensive compared to small bear

• It is pretty impatient of me, but then I hate importing things from the US. My Meeblip took forever and I had to pay taxes, Royal Mail charges a ridiculous admin fee which is usually more than the tax.

• Does anyone, US side have an ssm2044 they could sell?

@altitude, don’t remember whether you had one, but I have an ssm and didn’t even think about sourcing this one (duh…) but could be trade for the farnell order (anushri stuff)

• i just received some from utsourceHK (ebay) but haven’t tested them yet. they were the cheapest at ebay, i hope they work.

• Please let me know how they work for you. This one isn’t the top of the list as it will go with a sidekick, however sometime I’ll have to hunt one down.

• @shimoda, my SSM Shruthi works fine with chip from utsource.

• good to hear that utsource are sell good stuff.
    has anybody had problems with orders from utsource with other ics?
    they sell ad781 really cheap and i was wondering if they might be fakes. i have searched everywhere, they are by far the cheapest. (also other sellers on ebay have them cheap sometimes)
    i need a few of those, but don`t want to pay the normal price, which is like 15€ a piece.

• Got fake IR3109s from there, though I ultimately got a refund.

• www.utsource.net who are located in Indonesia as far as i know, are a reputable seller and will exchange if there are fakes. i ordered couple of times with them. however the ebay seller i bought from is called utsourcehk and their SSM2044 were way below the regular utsource price. i have no idea if they in fact are utsource or someone how pretends to be.
    gotta check them today, but i’ll have to find a stereo to hook the Shruthi on, mine’s dead.

• thanks for your feedback.

there is something strange about the ebay name.
    the one i found is called “hkutsource”

i guess it is all about ordering there and hope they are not fakes.

• Just checked two 2044’s I’ve bought this summer, they slightly differs from one bought year ago (left), but works fine.

SSM2044_IMG_2358.jpg
    800 x 442 - 291K
  • They were made for quite some time. The chips in old computers like the Commodore 64 used to vary too, but they were made all around the world at one stage.

• @shrab, good to know. i have the exact same batch as the one you have on the right. Maybe one day I’ll actually build the filter board

• loderbast, you’re right about the name. still haven’t tested them.

• @6581punk, yep. Left fabricated july 1987, right april 1993.

@qp I have to build two as alternative to Seppomans SSM2044 VCF for MB SID. Сould not resist a five euro sellout =)

• well, to repeat myself in my own thread, they work. i have the feeling in general that all SSM2044 are slightly different to each other but probably just a matter of tuning.
    all shruthi modulation tests worked fine.
    @schrab: five euro sell out? WHERE? i still need some for my seppo ssm’s too. this was just a stereo test purchase :)

• @rosch, they was at the shop. Looks like all sold.

• oh, you mean the pcbs?
    i saw it but i don’t need more than 3. by the time i convinced a friend he needs one too they were gone :)

• @rosch, now i have them assembled and hesistating between stereoVCF for MBSID and triphonic Shruthi with programmer.

• i’ve made a stereo vcf for my 6581R4AR MBSid, a triphonic SSM Shruthi with programmer (which i’m assembling the aluminum case for atm)... and, i got the stuff here (besides another 4 or 5 SSM chips) to add complete seppoman VCF and VCA treatment to my MB6582 (with 8 standard 6581) in the future, i’ll receive the original pactec case and frontpanel for the MB6582 tomorrow or so and will make this stock for now.

• FYI, finally build and tested the 2044 chip and it works great. I must say, I’m a bigger fan of this filter than the IR3109.

• Speaking of which, has anybody modded their SMR4 mkII to disconnect C15 and thus give the SMR4 mkII the SSM2044-like resonance (with loudness drop)?

• —refresh—

@rosch
    “the guy from the UK with the good chips is no longer registered with ebay :(”

I think he still is:

SSM2044 from Henry Walmsley

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion