Features request for next firmware versions...
  • Ah I see… then you need a MIDIpal :)

• You should upsell people to the midipal as often as possible :D.

• The MIDIpal has this “I don’t really know what I’ll use it for before I buy it but once I have it I see reasons to use it all the time” quality.

When someone submitted this bug report about the Shruthi CCs, first thing I did was to grab the MIDIpal, CC app, and send a dozen of types of CC to the Shruthi to quickly check that the CC map has not been changed with a firmware evolution. Would have taken me longer to program another device or to hook it to Logic.

• its true. i debugged a strage midi problem in puredata with the monitor app in like one minute today. every other way of debugging would have taken more time – even if i had done it inside puredata.

• @pichenettes: for FM I’d like to be able to modulate the oscillator range (because pwm modulates the oscillator parameter, which is the index, right?)

BTW I sort of guessed it was unfeasible to add a 3rd envelope. Regarding the Shruthi-1 UI I’m surprised how easy and intuitive it is to use given its physical limitations. Thanks for a superbly sounding synth!

• You can modulate the oscillator range using osc1, osc2, osc1+2 and fine destinations in the mod matrix, whatever the waveshape you selected.
    But the modification of those parameters are evaluated at a rate of about 1khz (if I remember well), so you won’t be able to get “true” FM modulation.

I’m not sure I understand about the “index” you’re talking aout the oscillator parameter.

If you’re speaking about the FM waveform, then a look at the reference manual might help :
    @When the fm oscillator is selected, the range parameter plays a slightly different role than usual: instead of controlling the main pitch of the note, it controls the modulator frequency, and has a drastic impact on the timbre.@

• OK, got it, I think Bjarne wants to modulate the modulator/carrier frequency ratio (the setting that “hijacks” the range setting when using the fm oscillator). There is no way to access it currently, that’s true. It would be an interesting idea, but the catch is that FM works well only if the carrier and modulator are “locked” to some specific frequency ratios. I had tried many of them and they just sound like bells, soundblaster farts, and more bells – before converging on the small set of ratios currently accessible through the “range” setting. A continuous modulation of this parameter would be a bit strange. Things are done like that on the DX where the ratio is discrete, and non-modulable.

• @pichenettes: yes, you’ve got it. You’re probably right about the timbres though. Maybe not useful for anything other than Neubauten.

@MicMicMan: thanks for the reply. I was after the ‘hijacked’ range parameter used in FM (as guessed by O.)

• shiftr, I figured this would be an issue for me too so I got two Shruthis. They are not too expensive so I figured that was the easiest way. I’ve always figured duo mode was gravy, something to be happy about but to use in moderation.

• @pichenettes I notice envelope decay time is modulatable in the Ambika. Any chance of that particular feature making it back into the Shruthi-1 firmware, for those twangy basslines?

a|x

• I happen to dig soundblaster farts.

• To do so I will need to add this at the end of the list of modulation destinations. My concern is that it’ll look a bit messy with “attack” and “decay” and “release” not appearing contiguously. That’s the big thing that slows me down from implementing new modulation destinations.

Note to myself for upcoming projects: add better infrastructure for having layers of indirection between UI and internal structures (at the moment there’s a lot of hardcoding – UI ordering of parameters and options matches struct order and enum order). I thought it would be overkill on such a small project, it isn’t, but I fear there’s not much room codewise to add more decoupling between UI and data representation.

• @pichenettes I know exactly what you mean. I agonise about that kind of thing, too.

a|x

• Digging up this old post ….

Back in June, aksmaster said:
    “I understand your reluctance about changing the patch data structure, then, would it be feasible to sacrifice some sequence patch memory to save some arp setups, or save the “arp” page within the sequence patch? It is just that the simple interaction of dir/rng/pat/wrp yields some very specific musical results which, especially live, are difficult to set up with speed and precision even using handwritten notes. “
    And pichenettes replied:
    “yes, it would be feasible to sacrifice some sequencer memory space for arp presets.”
    And tonight, bleo +100000 that. And wishes he knew how to quote in textile.

And now I’m older, wiser, know how to block quote and have played my first gig with a Shruthi-1… and I STILL would sell my soul and break backward compatibility (tho I’m sure someone could write a patch conversion tool) with every one of my patches just to be able to have arp/tempo settings saved to patches!

Not only is it really difficult to have to quickly adjust arp/tempo settings while you’re playing, but also if you simply want to switch to another patch, those settings remain and you unfortunately have to power cycle to reset these parameters!

I think this is really the only weakness of the otherwise invincible Shruthi-1 and for people performing live, it’s a biggie… especially when dealing with this mess:

If there’s any fundraising I can do to help make this dream a reality, please please please let me know!

• Oh right, 100000 votes from me too… ;)

• yea its not very useful for me without this either… id be willing to jump through whatever patch recreation that has to happen to do it too.

• I wonder if it wouldn’t be possible to design some external midi device that would handle all the patches settings, including arp+seq, tempo and sound settings.
    Like say, frank’s upcoming “octopot” could probably handle that. Would be the perfect complement for the shruthi in a light live setup. And this way, you don’t break backward compatibility.

• should be possible with picaxe hardware like octopod.
    while at it, why not include user wavetable to the settings aswell?

• User wavetable is 16x the size of a patch, so this would reduce patch memory (using the largest eeprom) to about 60 – and loading/saving will freeze the unit for about a second.

• Would that be for a global user wavetable or per patch? Either way seems liveable enough without.. you could always hack your own wavetables if you really need to have your own I guess.

• Interesting idea @MicMicMan. If Octopot makes this happen, I will have to line up for one indeed. Though I really think something as badass as the Shruthi-1 should be able to do this itself :P

• why not build a dedicated shruthi for every setting ;) ?

• What a classic fcd72 response! :P

• I was thinking, now that the DUO mode is there anyway, why not make it possible to trigger the two oscillators from two different MIDI channels independently, or at least be able to change the pitch of the two oscillators on different MIDI channels.

On the old C64 this technique was used (and still is) to great extent with sync and ringmodulation for melodic effect-like phrases (Rob Hubbard used this a lot)... I thought, that with so many different ways inside the Shruthi-1 to mingle the two oscillators using the many operator settings, this would give et pletora of interresting sequencing opportunities.

I know this could probably be done using sequences as well, but it’s not as flexible as using it through a whole score with different melody lines on the two channels. I know that Shruthi cannot independently trigger envelopes on separate oscillators, but maybe if one channel does the triggering of VCA and VCF envelopes, and the other is controllable just changing pitch, that it would give some nice possibilities.

Maybe this would be easier implemented with another modulation source, like for example “MIDI Channel 2 Keytrack”... and thus could be used for other parameters as well, based on what’s being played on another MIDI channel.

Just a thought…

• I don’t think there’s a trigger mode (ignore note off, zero length sustain phase) for the envelopes yet, is there?

• One feature request : would it be possible to add “move preset X to Y” ?
    ... and also : a way to know if the place where we want to write a preset is blank or not ?

• @snk +1 for that.

a|x

• i agree +1

• > would it be possible to add “move preset X to Y” ?

Hmmm, I am not sure about it. It currently is possible to scroll in the list to X, then save it to another location Y. It is not a very complex procedure, and it will probably be simpler than anything involving weird key combinations (all are pretty much already in use). Or have I misunderstood this?

• I suspect ‘move preset X to Y’ is easy enough with a computer-based editor, and although it would be useful to have such an integral function I’d personally prefer new functions that add to the sound options
    Having said that, I know some here are desperate to avoid computer-based setups (rumpelfilter for instance)

Martin

• Yes :
    1 – I wish i can use my Shruthi-1 computer-less ;
    2- There is no official Mi software editor/librarian, so there is no really reliable tool (read : updated and available for the 6 Shruthi-1 variations, and not M4L dependent, and not Mac only…)

• ???
    I think i posted a previous comment a couple of hours ago, and it is not displayed ?

• Nevermind, here it is again, somewhat.
    This is the scenario (which happened to me a couple of times) : – I play around with the SHruthi, starting with a preset (let’s say #23) ; – I tweak the preset, change some sound parameters, andi ned up with a soud i love. – Now i want to save it, but i don’t want to overwrite an existing preset, and i don’t remember where the “blank preset” start : is the slot #125 free ? Or didn’t i just overwrite the #125 slot the other day ? I am not sure, i wouldn’ want to overwrite a preset, but i want to save my sound… damn ! urgh ! caramba !

I wish i could have is a little sign (like an asterisk or something) telling me if the preset i have selected to paste my sound is a blank/default one or if it is already taken.

For instance : – If the preset 124 is free (called “default”), then next to the preset number, i would have a little sign telling it to me. – If the preset 124 is already taken by a custom preset, then nothing special would be shown before pasting/overwriting (or maybe it would show another sign).

Does it make sense ?

• Yes, I understood the bit about having a “blank preset indicator”, but my question was about:

“move preset X to Y”

• My bad, i understand that i misunderstood your misunderstanding :P
    Yes, the big thing is having a “blank preset indicator”.
    Move X to Y was just a step in the scenario where blank preset indicator would be needed.

• I gave it a try. You should see a “*” on empty patch slots. Some observations:

• There’s no way of knowing if a preset is blank. So I check that the name is “user”. Obviously, if you call your presets “user”, they will be displayed as blank! Doing any check more complex than that will slow down the scrolling, as every time you increment the number, I now have to fetch data from the eeprom to check if it is a “blank” slot or not. Fetching 8 chars is OK, fetching and comparing more data is not.
    • This doesn’t work with the “6 chars patch name” hack.
    • This doesn’t work with the “combo patch+sequencer” mode. Simply because there’s no way of knowing if a sequence is “blank”. Any sequence of bytes can be a valid sequence!
    • This doesn’t work if you have done a ghetto eeprom upgrade/replacement, and your empty patches show up as “?” instead of “user”.

What I am sure is that I am not going to document this feature – there are too many “special cases” which might make people believe it is broken. Whether I am going to leave it in the firmware is unknown. It certainly doesn’t feel right to me. Keep in mind that some features are not implemented because of laziness or technical constraints – but also because I am increasingly concerned about doing so many things with this layers-of-second-thoughts approach.

I wish you would let me design “simple and consistent” things once in a while.

shruthi1_old_bootloader.syx.zip
  • haha! well, you’re the boss ;D

• Woah, that was quick : thank you so much !

Well, this should work in most cases and for most people, right (unless they have made custom mods and in this case they should be aware of it) ?

... And i wasn’t aware that there had a “combo patch+sequencer” mode… :)

• btw. if I wanted to use some software librarian (running on a computer, I don’t have a problem with that) to rearrange all the presets on the shruthi-1 what could I use? Or how could I do that in some other way? Back when I still had the Blofeld I had this very useful little program where you could rearrange all the presets on the machine and the software would then do all the moving for you… very handy!

• I like this ‘blank patch’ fix a lot even if its a hack. I’ve always had trouble with overwriting patches on my gear, not just Shruthi’s (also Mopho and Nord Modular etc). I just get too consumed in the sound shaping, and then I forget were that free slot was.

An elegant fix is of course the Ambika versioning, but that’s another story.

• When i save my patch, patch doesnt save that the arppegio/sequencer is on or what are the settings for it. Would be greate to have such a functionality on board :)

• @PolarFox: this has been discussed many times already: this is not possible unless compatibility with previous versions is broken.

• I thought so,
    Sorry for the trouble :)

• well my only major feature request remains a way to send a midi cc dump of all cc-controllable parameters. i know this wouldnt cover the modulation matrix, but it would still be immensely helpful for cc-based editors like these for the ipad.

or is there a working ipad editor for the shruthi available somewhere that can deal with a sysex dump?

• Sorry if this has been raised before, but it would be nice to be able to assign LFO amounts as destinations in the mod matrix.

• This feature is already there. Use an operator to multiply a LFO by another modulation source, and use the result as a modulation.

• Great tip, thanks!

• I have had the same problem with patch saving… twice now I have accidentally overwritten other patches because I couldn’t remember which slot was empty… one way of doing it would be to add an extra button press to load a patch, rather than auto loading when scrolling through the patches… this way you could scroll and find an empty slot, but not load it and overwrite the current patch… or you could make the save function come with a page just like the browse patch page, only instead of selecting the patch to load, you scroll through select the patch slot to save into… if that makes any sense.

• For testing a mode where you can use the buttons as a keyboard would be good. Can the unit recognise multiple button presses at once? If so perhaps with binary numbers to give 12 notes from the 1st 4 buttons. So have button 1 as 0 or 1, button 2 as 0 or 2 etc to give 12 values for an octave of notes.

• @tdel1295 that sounds like a good idea to me. Well, one of the options.

a|x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion