Ambika assembly instructions / BOM
  • Mobo documented here

On my side I have weekly or bi-weekly orders chez all the guys listed here. So I’m not really in your shoes when it comes to sourcing… It would be cool if you helped each other for parts sourcing. So please check the BOM listed on this page and focus on the parts with only one or two sources. Do you know any other online shop where they could be found? Maybe you know a missing Mouser/Digikey/Farnell/Reichelt reference for them?

• The SD Card holder is article 571-2041021-1 at Mouser. It’s A101492CT-ND at Digi-Key.

• Thanks! I did this in february, I am pretty sure this is a recent entry in their catalogue.

• group order time now, huh? digi-key and mouser. i think this time i make it stock so i can use Frank’s case, the other approach lead me to not finishing anything (yet). i guess we better start a new thread for that

• btw would be good to get some EU unobtainiums for the voice cards too

• Which parts are EU unobtaniums? :)

• I’m guessing the ceramic bypass caps are hard to get. I always have problems getting those here in the UK.

a|x

• The exact SD-card holders, the knobs if you really want the originals (maybe*), the button caps used to be for the old Shruthi – the Ambika seems to have the same as the xoxbox so we have a few more options and the pots – ish. Also, the Audio-grade electrolythics are tricky.

*Some items at Farnell are located in the US and you’ll have to pay a sizeable extra per order in Europe. Also, Farnell only sells to companies. The SD-card connector is a US thing.

• OK guys, so Jojjlito is preparing an EU Group buy for the “EU rare Parts” ;-)

@a|x Shall i order 500 pcs 100Ns for you?

• Seriously, I could! The issue is that Sweden has a 25% VAT. I’m sure we could shave off some money by ordering to a less tax-the very fabric of reality™ county. Just saying :)

Also, some things are wonky like the Reichelt Styroflex caps. Maybe those could be bought in bulk as we could all find resistors and what not both here and there…

• I can get stuff from Farnell if anyone needs it. I have to pay extra for US stock items though. I’m probably going to go with Mouser for the bits I need.

a|x

• @fcd72 that might be handy. That would keep me going for a lonnnng time, I think! Actually, thinking about it, I have a UK source for most of the ceramic caps now. I just have to buy a load of them at a time to make it worth it, as the delivery is quite expensive (compared to the cost of the components, anyway).

a|x

• I could take care of the Mouser and Digikey things as I usually do an order there once every 3-4 months or so… We have to carefully avoid the US Farnell things and move those to Mouser or Digikey.

• Mouser UK parts come to £64.55 excl.VAT and duty. That’s for everything though, including Atmega and 2x40 LCD.
    Several items are currently on backorder:

0.1uF ceramic caps (75-1C10Z5U104M050B)
    MIDI sockets (161-0504-E)
    Male 1x6 pin headers (649-77311-118-06LF)
    Tact switches (612-TL1100)
    2x40 LCD (763-NHD-0240AZ-FLYBW)

The caps are a pain, because there are 21 of the f*ckers. That’ll be £4.95 delivery from Rapid for those. These ones should be OK, shouldn’t they?

MIDI sockets: Rapid again, but they’re on 1-2 weeks backorder.
    • Headers: not a problem. I find it’s cheapest to get those in long strips from eBay and cut/snap off what you need.
    • Tact switches: Rapid again.
    • LCD: I’ll probably get one from pichenettes, so not a problem.

I’m going to hold off on the order until pichenettes has posted the BOMs for the voice boards, too. No point in doing multiple orders.

a|x

• Incidentally, I can’t see an export BOM option on the Mouser basket page. There is an option to share the BOM via email though, so I’m happy to do this, if it will save anyone some time.

a|x

• the audio sockets were pretty much unobtainium here too if i remember correctly. i can get Farnell stuff here but as toneburst has mentioned, if it’s stocked only in the US it’s much more expensive (and the people i get them from are a pain sometimes)

• @pichenettes Any idea when you’ll be able to put up the BOMs for the Ambika voice cards? Not trying to hurry you, it’s just I’m in component-sourcing mode at the moment…

a|x

• @pichenettes Great work on the main board walkthrough, by the way. I’m always impressed by the high standard of your documentation, and this is no exception!

a|x

• I am finishing some Shruthi-1 kitting today and will write the voicecard docs in the night. No build walkthrough yet – until I plan to build more voicecards :D

• @pichenettes Cool, good to know. The voice cards look relatively easy to construct. I’m sure all of us future ‘pioneers’ would be able to do those without a walkthrough ;)

a|x

• @rosch: Not 100% sure, but these could fit:
    http://www.musikding.de/Connectors/Jacks/Ampstyle/6-3mm-Mono-jack-plastic-nut-print::1146.html?XTCsid=6c4734b9c48ba61d2879a4c69e6a6964
    http://www.musikding.de/Connectors/Jacks/Ampstyle/6-3mm-Mono-jack-metal-hex-nut-print::501.html?XTCsid=6c4734b9c48ba61d2879a4c69e6a6964

• No, these could work on a Shruthi ; but because there is a narrow row of 6 jacks on Ambika I had to select the slimmest ones.

• These Jacks should fit

• > Also, Farnell only sells to companies.

Maybe they used to do that? Im merely a private individual and have had no problems placing orders with them here in the UK.
    Well, Apart from the parts they have to get in from the US (usually caps) and then they charge you extra for. By which time you might as well have gone with Mouser or Digikey to start with.

• @Luap they’re quicker than the US companies though. If you avoid the US-stock items, it’s often next day delivery, so handy if you already have ceramic caps and DIL sockets in stock.

a|x

• @Luap: Cool if they changed that! Guess I’ll give them a new shot instead of giving up. I didn’t want to invoke my dad’s company or the rather large corporation where I work due to fears of getting harassed by some sales people :)

Well back to the normal comings and goings…

• they do sell to private persons now? that would be nice. i usually go to PCB Mike (he’s round the corner) who orders them for me from a local wholesaler. this wholesaler is a pain to deal with though, at times (when ordering US stocked Farnell stuff)

• @rosch is that PCB Mike of Mike’s MIDIShop fame?

a|x

• yes exactly!

• afaik, farnell don’t sell to consumers in germany – only to businesses or students. consumers in germany can order farnell stuff from hbe-shop.de.

• @toneburst
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Axial-multilayer-ceramic-capacitors-62502
    I’ve used them in loads of synth modules and my two Shruthis. They’re only for bypass so don’t need the tight tolerance.

• Freaking cool! I love Mutable Instruments black PCBs man… They just make me want to build!

Has anyone worked out where we are at cost-wise for a 6-voice fully-populated Ambi? Is ballpark USD $800 near enough or a little short?

I definitely have some money saving to do before this is happening. Or find something to sell :-\

• about the JP1, JP2, JP3, JP4, JP5, JP6 Female 1x6 header, 2.54mm 6 18688 from 4UCON, is this one the same product? http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1016

Cause the minimum quantity for this item on 4UCON is 1000pcs, juste enough to build 166 Ambika ;)

• No this is not the right part, it needs to have long legs so that the voicecards can be stacked on top of each other. It’s the same part as found on the Arduino shields.

• Ok, thank you for your quick reply

• sorry to be redundant, but does it look like this one: http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/349 ?

• Right part!

• Oops, just bought the wrong ones…
    Thanks for the heads-up, pichenettes.

a|x

• Cool, thank you pichenettes!

• Ok, then here would be the Mouser part?

• Right part!

• Im in!!!! This stuff is so cool I cant believe it :D when do you think you will release the PCBs??

• Hmmm… I wonder. So are these filter boards “stripped-down” version of the Shruthi-1 filter boards? Can I be safe in assuming they are comparable? Thing is I’ve yet to build any of the newer boards so if I could make a comparison it would only be to the smr-4 mk1. How to choose? I guess getting one of each would be the way to go…. hmmm. Would a character chart or a little low down on the timbre of the different voices be too much to ask?

• I just wish it was 2006 instead of 2012. Man I was in such a different place, the whole world was I guess. Anyway, I am fast running out of funds for expensive stuff like this. Please don’t take it the wrong way if I’m not an early adopter. It’s just a function of the shitty economy… Not my enthusiasm or admiration for your fine work.

• @KSD: My understanding:
    SMR4 is a stripped down version of Shruthi SMR4 MkII with thinner resonance sound due to using darlington buffers (but OK for poly use)
    4P is the 4PM core but restricted to a single filter mode (4 Pole Lowpass)
    SVF is half of the dual SVF board (single filter only but still multmode)

• True enough, I haven’t actually used any of those filters to know about their different characteristics. And, I was under the impression that the bp/hp and duel part of the svf were, in fact, part of the big draw of those respective filters. So given that those part have been stripped out it would seem as if the options would be like a treecko, a bulbasaur and a shroomish (all grass type) as opposed to a scyther, a wingull and a mew (bug, water and psychic respectively). Just kinda looking for a comment like I use this filter in this situation because its good at doing this or that. Thanks.

If it makes much of difference, I suppose the easiest route to go would be to pick the one you want if your going to go full poly with one card so that you only need to source in multiples the parts needed for one board. Or go the extra few miles and source for multiple boards. Its just a teeter-totter decision thing.

• @So given that those part have been stripped out it would seem as if the options would be like a treecko, a bulbasaur and a shroomish (all grass type) as opposed to a scyther, a wingull and a mew (bug, water and psychic respectively)@

Wait… what? :)

• The SVF board does BP and HP too.

• Just did a Mouser project for the 4P board components.

• The poly caps (649-77311-118-06LF) are on backorder
    • The orange LED (604-WP7104LYD) isn’t stocked anymore, apparently.

Comes to £15.45 excl. taxes. That’s €19.33 or US$24.02 at today’s exchange-rate.
    Not bad! That includes the Atmega, incidentally.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to combine several Mouser projects into a single order, without having to manually copy items from one list to another?

a|x

• Here’s the Mouser project for the Ambika mainboard (all components). Might save a bit of time for someone. Let me know if the link doesn’t work for you.

a|x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion