Power 3 Shruthis from a single PSU ?
  • Sorry for my lack in electronic design. I’m wondering if and how can I power my 3 Shruthis with a single PSU (mine are rated with 9V – 1100 mA) from which run 3 cables plugged in each Shruthi ?

Thanks for your help !

Hédi K.

• So long as the PSU can actually deliver the stated current. Many can’t.

• I think that would be sufficient, even if it delivers only 700 or 800mA :D

• I have run as many as four Shruthis on a Godlyke Powerall….

• Basically, as long as your power supply still delivers at least +7 volts when all three Shruthi-1’s are connected you’re in business :-)

Titus Raindrops chooses a sensible approach though, by opting for a regulated PSU whose voltage remains exactly the same whatever the load.

Martin

• Is it interesting to make our own PSU ?
    Someone has already done ? or possesses plans?

Romain
  • Pretty easy, if you’re doing the unregulated version you just need a normal DC PSU schematic and then leave out the parts after the smoothing capacitors after the bridge rectifier

Go for a step down transformer that output 7 or 7.5 volts AC, that way the regulator in the Shuthi-1 won’t run so hot.

You can do a regulated version too, some of the MIDIBox forum members have added a crowbar circuit to their PSUs. In the event of a problem it ensures the fuse blows quick and protects the device attached to the PSU.

Obviously for the Shruthi-1 this isn’t so essential as the ICs are widely available, but for people using 4-8 SID chips that are becoming expensive it is a worthwhile investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_%28circuit%29

• Thx Punk, and to be like the Godlyke PA-9 B, with several output ?
    You have an idea ?
  • Thanks all for your clever inputs ! ... and a special thanks for schrab and his schematic !!!

Hédi K.

• Wonderfull shem !!
  • That’s all about little differencies =)