• MidiPal kit arrived yesterday. I have all the tools. I read pichenettes article (several times). I’ve watched the Aussie video a thousand times now.

I plan to build this weekend. Any last words of wisdom from those who have done SMT before? This will be my first SMT project…

• Don’t have to much Coffee in advance….

• Did you guys find you needed to turn your iron temperature down? What temp do you use for SMT?

• I work at 290°. If possible, I switch to a brand new tip.

• just use tons of flux
    good for your lungs, good for your midipal

• The ATMega IC is the least of your worries. It’s those diddy resistors and capacitors are the hard part.

Get a light and magnifier for reading the resistor values. The capacitors you’ll have to either measure or work out based on their quantity.

• Hello Shrutiyer !!!
    I'm joining to this thread for a similar question.

I want to change my soldering iron.
    Could you advise me to buy a soldering iron or station.
    Mine is a 25w ANTEX too powerful.

romain
  • i have some natty glasses!

• This post will end here i think.

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1066&page=1#Item_20
  • The caps are unmarked? My meter requires that caps have legs…you have to insert them into a slot. Same with transistors…

Hmmm.

• if you got the full kit, the included caps, (altough unmarked) are in such quantities as to be impossible to mix up – just don’t take them out of the packaging until you are are ready to solder.

• @HeRtEk

I can recommend this one – holds temperature ±5 ° no matter if soldering SMT or good ole Rev 0.5 Digital Board Groundplane – guess you could do Plumbing at your Gutter with it as well…

• I have heard good things about the Hakko 888 and 951 irons. You can get them at Sparkfun among other places…

• Looks like something Kindergarten would buy ;-)

• “Today kids, we will be making the next batch of MIDIpals. Please sign this waver first.” Nevermind those burns Jimmy, thems DIY battle scars. Wear ‘em proudly.

Interesting, it almost feels like we have rode this rail before… Cross-contaminating derailmentitus™!

• Here’s must watch soldering tutorial #1 in which the Hakko is recommended.

Here’s must watch soldering tutorial #2 which is all about through-hole solderation™.

Here’s must watch soldering tutorial #3 in which Dave takes us through SMT soldering using a variety of techniques.

• I’m thinking about upgrading to a Hakko when my Weller dies.

I’m also thinking about retirement in the Swiss Alps.

Sometimes I think about chocolate.

• Derailed by chocolate? (not a bad way to go)

• Have you noticed how girls supposedly eating chocolate in adverts never actually consume the stuff – they pull a delighted face when the camera pulls in close, but never swallow, and I’m sure they all spit it out when the camera has finished.

Look at the pic above – I rest my case ;-)

Martin

• Martin, I have personally witnessed the female species eating chocolate and what it does to them. I can assure you that they swallow…

• I live near geneve in swiss, if you want, i can send you good chocolate !!!
  • And thank you for the advice
  • I live near Birmingham, can send Cadbury’s :)

• "they pull a delighted face when the camera pulls in close, but never swallow, and I’m sure they all spit it out when the camera has finished."

Are we still talking about chocolate?
  • @Titus Raindrops: I actually said “girls supposedly eating chocolate in adverts”. I’ve witnessed the female species eating chocolate, but I still maintain that I’ve yet to see one really eat any in an advert.

@HeRtEk and 6581punk: thanks for your kind offers :-)

@Istran – I have no idea what you’re talking about ;-)

Martin

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion