Differences between mk1 and mk2?
  • Sorry, bad way to introduce myself with a double post in two different categories :(
    But I realized that maybe Feedback was not the right one...

I have a question about these two models, but as I already wrote there, I will just post the link here :)
    http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1295&page=1#Item_1

THanks a lot for the help and once again sorry for the repetition.
  • The core of the filter is the same. The mkII uses less part and requires less manual adjustments.

• You wouldn’t notice the difference in a double blind test but the mkII Builds much better.

• I thought I had the MK2 until I looked at mine the other day.

The MK2 is easier to add the mods right?

• Yes, the mods are easier to add. Oh and the mkII has this fix for the “resonance tone through VCA bleed” problem – on the mkI it needs a bit of hacking to get it…

• ...although it only needs a 1 megohm resistor that costs a few pence ;-)

Martin

• Looking at the PCB on the store, it doesn’t mention if the SMR4 PCB for sale is MK1 or MK2. I’m guessing it will be the MK2 but the picture shows the MK1 still. Mind you, I’d be more likely to build another 4PM or a Dual SVF (and possibly mod it).

• Mmm, I´m sorry but all that is still a bit of an extraterrestrial language to me.
    I was looking for a synth and I have found a shruthi for sell. I have listened in youtube and the sound was awesome, the look is cool, then I read a bit of its history and it is exciting, so, I want it :)
    It is selling quite cheaper than the ones here.
    But it is a MK1.
    Should I better say no, and buy a 4 pole (damn, too expensive, no way now) or a mk2? He told me "the mk1 is better, it sounds better, and it is no more available.
    I would like to understand what advantages and disadvantages may I have with the mk1 over the mk2.

:)

But thanks to everybody for the comments!
  • If its build and tuned there are no advantages.

• well you can always learn how to solder and build your own from a kit. that’s the cheapest solution!

• @Mr53rg10

They sound the same. The mkII is easier to build and it doesn’t require complicated adjustments to make it sound right. Which also means that with a mkI unit there’s a significant chance that the guy did not properly take the time to adjust it – so it won’t sound optimally.

The mkII is easier to mod to add extra features (bandpass mode), but since you’re building an assembled unit you’re not into the DIY business anyway, so you don’t care…

> Should I better say no

Maybe, because it’s obvious to me the guy is trying to oversell his stuff by saying the mkI is better and making it look “vintage”, so there’s a chance he might be bullshitting you on other points.

• This was good info. I also had the impression that they sounded little bit different. I got that by reading this forum, not by comparing. Though i don't remember anymore which thread it was -or official description of the newer version, but somewhere was said that it sounds smooth, very close to the roland filters.

And if that was not said from mkI filter, it might be the reason why some ppl. think they sound different.

I now have both, so i can do comparison. So far i have not, at least not blind tests.. But i am just happy if they sound very (or exactly) similar because it makes polychained Shuthi-1's sound more compact.
  • I think we will have to look it this way: the newer MK2 sets the Standard since the Filter is Preset in Reso, DC and LOWWW by the Master of modern Filterdesign itself to his favorite Sweet Spot. The MK1 has the same Filter Core and VCA so he can sound exactly like the MK2 and is supposed to do so.
    Every deviation from the MK2 sound is simply mistuning.

• My MKis are about 6 months old now and they are starting to get that antique vintage sound to them. You can almost see the cobwebs and moss on the waveforms.

• I could have sold you some preaged Caps – i use the Solera Principle to have them evenly aged, so they are a bit more expensive then normal aged ones…

• Yes same for guitar pickups. They must be soaked in urine and left in the sun. Then they’re vintage and can be sold on eBay.

• i have some of those too, i only touch them with tweezers though, except for very few moments when i’m too excited about some old features

• It is widely known that the electrons in old PCBs are older than the electrons in new PCBs. And if you want vintage tone, you have to go for old electrons.

I keep trying to explain the value of old electrons to my wife.

• Are old electrons rounder, too?

• The old PCB traces were hand drawn in some cases and the smoother rounded traces don’t shake the electrons as much on the corners.

• > Yes same for guitar pickups. They must be soaked in urine and left in the sun. Then they’re vintage and can be sold on eBay.

I'll be right back.
  • Don’t forget to wash your hands!

• haha hands? i thought it’s done free hand while playing the guitar

• Yay, only rosch really knows how to rock!

• Well there is only one way.
  • please record audio of the process!

• i’d like a video with ambient sound on one track and some drum loop sent thru the pickup so we can actually make a remix of the impregnating process…

• I would definitely call this thread derailed!

• Yes, it looks a bit derailed, but I am happy that it was an opportunity to talk :)
    "I keep trying to explain the value of old electrons to my wife." happy for you that you can at least share these things with her. I try to explain to my girlfriend how I see life and she looks at me like an extraterrestrial.

Well, he told me, that the MK1 sounds more "round", more "smooth", more like a Moog.
    Whatever.
    I guess I should never know till I have it, isn't it? ;)
  • Like a Moog…..

Just get one and decide yourselves. Although i like the look and feel of a MiniMoog, if i had to choose wether to take a Single Synth – a Moog or a Mutable Instruments – to a lonely Island . . . but you already know the answer.

• I thought they sounded quite different to each other. Not hugely, but noticeable none the less. Which either means they do indeed sound different, or I did a real piss poor job of tuning the original!

• Theoretically they sound the same…... ;-)

• Minimoog. I would definitely take the minimoog to the island. The Moogs have consistently round electrons hence the smooth filtration.

• you may change the electrons sphere shape via the mod matrix. has a minimoog a mod matrix? ;)

• The Voyager does. They call it pot mapping.

• When the electron, assuming round ones for now, falls into its hole do you think it’s like a golf ball falling into the hole? Is it a concave surface surrounding the nucleus that it sort of rolls around in like those motorcycles that ride around inside of a spherical cage?

So anyway, my point is, if the electrons snap into their holes due to the polarity does that make a noise, like a popgun? If the electron rolls around and around before falling into the hole does that make a rolling noise followed by a kerplunk?

And if they are indeed noises, do not those noises then build into a resounding crescendo that cascades from your Shruthi (or minimoog) like sheets of white lightning?

I haven’t even started drinking yet either.

• Mmm, I have no idea what you are talking about but I would like you to write me again when you are drunk, as I am curious about :)
    I like this place. If Shruthi is like people here, I think I need one.
    Supposing that that one was not so well configured, how "bad" can it sound and how could I fix that?
    BTW, if I have ZERO experience in electronics, may I get to build one shruthi?
  • Order the kit and build it. Get the standard SMR-4mkii kit as it has step by step instructions and all of the parts that you need. All you need to provide are some tools, two hands, and some time.

We will help you as much as we can. We all started where you are right now… And your Shruthi will never sound bad. It will either make no sound at all or it will sound incredible!

• Yep, the big thing that makes builds tedious and tend to fail is panel wiring. The Shruthi has none of that. Take it slowly and carefully and you should be fine.
  • Ok, today I was in a big open air market for used music instruments here in Germany .
    A guy had a nice synth called tunefish. There were three, "aliensynth", which was somehow the more "complete". Than "303 box" which was dedicated to the basses a bit like roland tb 303. Than Junglefish which was extremely dedicated to sub basses like 90' jungle music.
    The three of them had midi in, no keys, only real time knobs, no presets, no sequencer. They were able to produce sounds only when connected to an external something, sequencer or midi keyboard.
    too limited for 400 euro.
    THe same guy had shruthi too and he said the bassed of the jungle are better but the shruthi is more complete and he would stick with the shruthi (he had three and he does not want to sell any).
    It sound smore and more like that my line up of synths will be a shruthi, a blofeld, and a monotribe (for fun, I like it, exactly BECAUSE it is a bit a toy, and because of it's batteries function which make me save one hour of my life every day, jamming in the bus).

So. I also want a theremin and it seems that the best most easy to get is still the Moog one. And they have a kit version.

Should I start the experiment?

A question: this guy told me that his three shruthi sounde all different because one had roland filter, one another filter, etc.
    WTF?
  • The shruthi has 2 parts. The digital board and the analog board. The digital boars is were the oscilators live, as well as the envelopes, LFO, MOD Matrix, etc.. The filter is the bottom board. This is what gives the synth it’s “life”! The kits ship with the SMR-4 which is a 4 pole filter, similar to a Moog filter. Since the digital and analog boards are separate, Olivier offers several different types of filters. FYI, the “Roland” filter is no longer produced.

But, I’d suggest getting the kit for starters. It may even benefit to start with a simpler kit first before throwing down a chunk of change for a Shruthi. But, as mentioned, there are no wires to worry about with a Shruhti, so the build is generally very easy as long as you follow the step by step instructions.

• i think the Shruthi is easy enough to start with, if you just take time to read the build instructions and do it carefully step by step.
    the SMR filter that comes with the kit sounds great, the others (SSM2044,CEM3379,IR3109) basically do the same thing, just each with slightly different character. the SVF and digital FX, as well the Polivoks are different. but if you look for a synth that can do all the things considered standard the SMR is the right thing to start with.
    hehe i didn’t even mention the new 4pole mission, maybe i should hurry to make it a reality for myself

• Ok.
    But what about if I would like to buy an assembled one?
    I do not see in the forum a thread for this.
    Where should I look to find/ask for assembled (possibly used, so that they are cheaper) shruthi?
    Can I post in the forum? Which category?
  • I’ve created a new category “The Market”

• Thanks! :)
  • Sometimes I amaze myself by how dumb I am. I was thinking about adding the bandpass filter mod to my Shruthi and started looking for the points labelled BP1 and BP3. And then, I finally noticed, after building the thing and using it for a month or so, I have the MKI. Doh! I think it’s tuned properly, and I’ve done the 4-pole/2-pole switch mod. I have no idea where the 1M resistor is supposed to go ‘though.

Is the schematic for the MKI on the site somewhere? I lost a pad when I did the 4-pole/2-pole switch and I’m not sure it’s really having any effect so I’d like to know where I could put jumpers instead.

• Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion