Mutable Cuisine - Recipe of the Day for the uninspired Chef
  • Recipe of the Day: Bread with Onions + Nutmeg and Butter with Herbs, Chili, Garlic, Lime Zest and coarse Sea Salt

For the Bread mix approx 200g wheat flour (Type 405) 200g wholemeal wheat flour and a bit of rye wholemeal flour, add a spoon of salt, a spoon of sugar, loads of fresh grinded Nutmeg, dissolve a piece (42g its here n Germany) Bakers yeast in approx 500ml of cold water and and work everything to a nicely dough. Get a Kenwood if you are lazy. Add a pack of “roasted Onions”:http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostad_lök and knead again. Let sit for about an hour and reknead. Put a bowl with water into your oven and heat it to 225°C (not in the hurricane Mode…). Form you bread, put on a pice of Baking Paper and bake for about 45 Minutes at 225°, then lower the temperature to 160° for another 30 Minutes.
    For a an excerpt on hot to make Bread properly read Locatellis Made in Italy (if you only have one book about cooking this is it!)

For the Butter take a pice of soft fresh (irish) Butter and mix with Herbs to your like, finely chopped Chilis, Zest from 2-3 Limes, and Gralic thats been crushed together with the coarse Sea Salt.

• In California we can buy raw dairy (not pasteurized, not homogenized) which I believe is more like the awesome milk and butter you get in France and Italy. Freshly-baked bread + fresh raw butter = hypersaw.

• OK, here’s one for real honest momma’s style/farmer-like meat n’ potatoes:
    Johan’s lazy Blackened Steak with Ceasar Mash

Prep:
    Get 200gr/person of steak or rib-eye/Entrecôte and make sure it’s room-tempered. Trim it. The ideal is to use 2-3cm (about an inch) thick steaks.
    Peel some nice potatoes like King Edward or similar and boil them.
    Get 1 green paprika/bell pepper, rinse it and cut into large chunks. Throw away the nasty bits in the center.
    Chop an onion/red onion in chunks
    Get some leaf celery, rinse it and chop the stems in 3-4cm (about an inch) long strips
    Get a couple of cloves of garlic, peel those and put them in the garlic press
    Make sure you have some Cajun spice mix (I prefer Blackened Steak Magic from Chef Paul), or Cayenne pepper, some oregano, some thyme and some fennel seeds (optional) and salt.

Boil the potatoes.

Heat a cast-iron skillet using the highest possible setting on the stove. Add lots of butter! When the butter is golden brown, sear the meat and add lots of cajun spices (my preference is Blackened Steak Magic from Chef Paul) and then lower the temperature. Turn the meat over when it starts to bleed. When it’s bleeding on the other side take it out of the pan and place it on a hot plate.
    Add all the veg, press the garlic over and let them soak in the beef juice and butter. This makes a good ratatouille to add to the side of the meat. Put the meat back in the skillet and use the leftover heat while waiting for the potatoes.

When done cooking make your mash, keep a little of the cooking water, add some milk or cream to taste. Instead of butter, try adding some Ceasar dressing or some nice cheese like English Cheddar, Gouda etc and let the cheese melt in the mash. Don’t use an electric beater, just gently press the mash using hand tools. Otherwise it becomes too gooey!

Eat! Enjoy, this is easy to make and makes for a decent meal :)

Edit: To make it more Swedish: Get some proper moose instead of cow. Add some chanterelles to the veg ratatouille.

To paraphrase Epic Meal Time: Next time we eat the future!

• Yesterdays Showmaker:

Lamb Chops with Pumpkin Seed and Liquorice pesto.

For the Lamb (yes, a whole side of the Back with the bones) just rub it in a bit of olive oil and place it on a grill in your oven at 120°C (not in these pesky hurricane mode..) for about 2 hours. Meanwhile roast some pumpkin seeds (best are from Austrias Steiermark), let them cool, grind them in your mixer together with nice Olive Oil and a bit of Sea salt to a fine Pesto. Do not switch on the Mixer to long as the Oil should not be getting warm. Spice up with a bit of freshly pounded Tasmanian Pepper and a tiny little bit of Lakrids Raw Liqourice Powder.

Then throw the lamb onto your nicely running charcoal Grill just give it some roasting flavors, cut it into single Chops; cut 3-4 chops per Person, give a good Spoon of the Pesto and drip some Pumpkin Seed Oil all over. Serve just with a fresh Baguette and some robust lightly chilled (not cold – just about 18°) Sicilan Red Wine

• @fcd72

God that sounds awesome… Reminds me of a dish we sometimes make where we roast a butterflied leg of lamb on the rack of the oven and let the juices drip into winter vegetables (turnips, squash, onions etc.). Came from Jamie Oliver.

But I like the sound of yours better. The bones make a huge difference.

• I do meat without bones only to impress dumb uneducated Guests that thing the Fillet is the single best piece of the animal – or found to make Burgers ;-)

Is the same thing as with digital vs analog filters; digital is without any bones hence without substance ;-)

• I like the trendy addition of Lakrids (liquorice) to the flavoring! My BBQ Zerg always goes better with some liquorice or some aniseed.

The Blackened Steak Magic has some fennel seeds in it to make things interesting. Highly recommended!

Now back to the Cajun Quesadilla in progress…

• Here: Salad of roasted Spanish Peppers, Zuchini, Red Onions, Capers and roasted Pine Nuts with a slice of griled Salmon with Lemon-Basil-Aioli

Its good to have a hobby outside the ShruthiVersum™ besides Alcoholic Beverages, Fast Cars and Girls.
    To me its nowadays more Wine, Women and Song™ formerly was Sex, Drugs and Rock’n Roll…..

• Damn you people eat well.

• We have nothing else to do besides cooking and soldering . . . . its a male thing all about FIRE!!!!!

• Cooking rules! It’s right up there with the holy trinity of S,D, and perhaps RnR that Frank mentioned. And soldering of course!

Nahh, as long as there’s sex and drugs, who cares about Rock-n-roll?

Tomorrows lunch-box will contain some roasted potatoes/veg with dill and some salmon fillet. And a nice home-made cajun mayo. Just me, and the mixer and some magic™

Yarr!

• No joke here. A lady knocked on my door last night and signed me up for deliveries of farm-fresh produce. It’s a collective and they take vegetables and fruit directly from the fields, make up CARE packages, and deliver them directly to your door.

How cool is that?

That just happened last night. Randomly.

• Cool beans! I’d sign up in a New-York minute.

• Here is their website if anyone is interested.

• I totally thought of signing up for one of those, but we are expanding our garden this year (adding a row of corn) and will already be canning all kinds of stuff for the winter.

Sometimes, when I have nothing to solder, I will cook me a steak and put grill lines on it with a soldering iron. The flux helps pull out the connective tissues.

This weekend the “soon-to-be” requested me to BBQ her some of my famous ribs with my special rub. I will post the receipt when it is done! Speaking of which, one of our favorites is getting a couple of Bison steaks, cooking em rare on the grill and smothering em in black truffle butter. Whip up some potato’s with horseradish and grilled asparagus drizzled with garlic olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon and sprinkle of sea salt and cracked pepper.

• sounds nice. synth people know what is good :)
    i am into cooking, too and i love chilli
    i have plans to kick it to another level, growing my own.
    last night, my delivery of plants arrived….

• Oooh! Nice! Do you smoke them, dry them or eat them fresh?

• nice! last years crop, I delved into growing pepper’s to make my own hot sauce. The growing part was simple. Making the sauce on the other hand….lesson learned, ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES! I was in so much pain for an entire night. I soaked my hand in an entire gallon of milk, tomato sauce, vinegar, whathaveya. Not to mention the eyeburn from cooking the peppers. So to you, sir, I say, Godspeed!

• Okay this is going to freak you out, but I can’t really grow anything to eat in the ground here. Why you ask? It’s because in the 1950s the US government decided to build a nuclear reactor and nuclear fuel processing site up in the mountains just to the NW of where I live. It was the site of the nation’s first nuclear meltdown and the entire site was declared a superfund disaster. The pollution plumes descend down the mountains and have made the groundwater around here, well, not good. 60 years later, probably cancer deaths in the thousands now, and lingering worries… it’s a real nice deal.

So you have to limit the oranges you eat from our trees and avoid growing things to eat directly in the soil.

How’s that for the day’s way too much information radiation dose?

And yes, I glow.

• Hehe, don’t forget to shake it if you need to go pee while the sauce simmers…

Once I fooled some people with the “mini-paprikas”/bell-peppers that is habanero and scotch bonnet :D Hilarity ensued. That’s a sallad that certain peeps won’t forget.

@Titus: Ouch! That sucks! Growing your own food (or parts thereof) is a great way to keep stress at bay.

• i think i will freeze most of them, because this is what i do now. (buy fresh and freeze the ones i don`t use right away.) also i think i am goint to make chili oil.
    but it is a long time till harvest.

thanks for the tips qp.

• funny, it’s only fitting that diy synther’s are diy fooder’s. I seriously love this place!

• Haha, cooking your own food is one of the good things in life. I want it to be an occasion when I eat out, so I often chill by the grill. I even had this made-up band once: Texas BBQ Bitches. A couple of friends, an 808, a 303, some other kit and lots of distortion.

• For those interested (and for those who think I’m completely out of my mind) I give you this and you can read about it to your heart’s content. I warn you, like the JFK assassination, the rabbit hole runs deep here. Conspiracy junkies/fans: warning trigger content!

They made ICBM and space shuttle engines here. I was living here in this house when they still tested the engines at the site. It was terrifying until you figured out what it was. That roar was … literally out of this world.

Edit: Typically the link to this information was buried in the main article so that you wouldn’t stumble upon it and read it. This shit really happened!

I’m hungry.

• I think I derailed this… sorry.

• Here’s a pizza I really liked when improvising in the kitchen.

Bread:
    Scone based dough, look up the recipe in any proper cooking book. Make it quite thin on the baking sheet, because it will get thick in the oven.

Filling and in this order:
    1 can of crushed tomatoes with basil. It’s important that it has basil, otherwise you get a detuned pizza. Spread it across the dough
    About 250 g of fried minced meat mixed with taco spices. If you had tacos the night before you can have the leftovers for this pizza
    1-2 hg of chopped up smoked ham slices
    1 green paprika in little pieces
    1 red onion in slices
    Sprinkle the whole pizza with cheese
    Fold the edge of the pizza so everything stays in place

200-225°C in the oven for about 20 minutes or so. Enjoy! And remember to stop eating when you’re full..

• your topping sounds good, tb 323
    i think i will try it.

i use spelt wholemeal floar (and also add spelt bran sometimes) instead of normal meal for pizza dough. not only is it more healthy, but tastes really good.
    also i add chili powder to the dough. (i guess you can use other spices)

another nice trick is to put a cup with water in it inside the oven. it makes the pizza dough crispy on the outside, but smooth inside..
    it is a little bit faster this way, because the heat is transfered better with more humidity.

• Back on track! Good job boys!

• Nice tip with the cup of water, loderbast. I will try it next time. :-)

• From now on you may follow my excerpts on cocking here

Yesterdays Episode:

• Penne alla Vodka

7 tbsp butter
    red pepper flakes (to taste)
    1 cup vodka
    1 cup cream (whipping or half & half or combo)
    1 cup pureed tomatoes
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
    Penne for 4

In a bowl large enough to make the sauce and hold the pasta later (I use a wok):

Melt butter
    Add pepper flakes
    Add vodka
    Simmer for 5 minutes or more (long enough to no longer smell the alcohol)
    Add cream and tomatoes
    Simmer for 5 minutes
    Add salt

Add penne to sauce
    Add parmesan cheese

• Todays Show:

Grilled green Asparagus with planed Parmigiano, Balsamico and for my Wife Crema di Balsamico, Tarte from fresh Spring Onions, assorted Proscciuto, Salami et Coppa. And a light Spanish Syrah Rosé, chilled to the dew point.

• How the hell do you do this every night AND run your own business AND invent shit AND help everyone else AND... all other living requirements?

WTF Frank how many of you are there?

• That looks delicious BTW. If I lived in Germany I would be a difficult houseguest to get rid of…

[ currently listening to my MidiPal sequence both a Shruthi Dual-SVF and a Voyager… Ah! The weekend is upon us. Cocktails? ]

• Resistance is futile?

• Oh, by the way, if anyone of you ever get to this desperate Place ill gladly share with you whatever is best on the market square and whatever i have in the cellar….

edit: Cocktails?
    I had a job at the famous Aquarius Cocktail Bar in Aachen back when i was Student at the RWTH.... I’ll take a Manhattan. Classic, isn’t it?

edit^2:
    Weekend? Thats an Employee Concept….

edit^3:
    @Titus:
    Now you know what to do with these green tubular thingies the Vegetable Girl sold to you….

• The green tubes are coming on Wednesday. We’ll see how fresh the farm really is then…

• Just cut them till they are juicy, Steam them “al dente” and throw them on a Grill just to let them have some roasting flavors. Let cool down, sprinkle with Olive Oil and fresh ground Black Pepper, plane down the Parmiggiano with a Sparschäler, pour over some good Balsamico, complement with a Glass of White Wine (and i know you tricky Californians drink the best ones available by yourselves…..) and you are in the Game.

Tomorrow: Bingo. Or Risotto.

• I’d go for the risotto.

Lately, we’ve been getting really great wines from Europe. Spain, Italy, Germany, even good old France. And they’re cheaper and better than most of the California wine. I don’t know what happened here, but prices went through the roof for local wine and it’s crazy. I’m glad other countries are growing great grapes and making great wine and competitive prices.

For the CA stuff, we’ve been drinking blends. They’re better and less expensive.

• Funny… here a great Californian Wine is cheaper than a great German one. Id anytime go for a Sicilian one, no matter what Grape / Year / Vinyard.

I recently had an Australian oaked Chardonnay reading 15 Vol% (no kidding) an Friend brought for a Barbecue. It was perfect complementing any kind of roasted Beef. But it was a rather short happening ;-)

• Isn’t that crazy? I know they charge more locally for California wine than they do when they export it (even with tariffs it’s still cheaper). That’s annoying.

We’ve had great wines from Chile and Argentina too, as well as Australia. Lots of places creating great wines. And that is truly one of life’s great pleasures… nothing like a good glass of wine (or two).

I always like the Beaujolais Nouveaux that comes out in the autumn. Really fresh and fruity, low alcohol content. I know it’s not meant to be a great wine but I always buy it and enjoy it. It’s part of the season. But even that is now approaching $20 per bottle in this crazy economy…

Anyway, does anyone outside of the US drink Beaujolais Nouveaux? Or is it exported solely for stupid Americans because no one else will drink it? I often wonder about these things…

• Beaujolais Nouveau… There’s some people over in Stockholm who make this a seasonal thing, but I always thought it weird to go gaga over a so-so wine. There’s much better stuff coming out of France’s vineyards available.

Californian wine: I end up with a bottle of Ravenswood every now and then for those not so rare occasions when there’s grilled meat on the platter. Mmm.

• call me ignorant, but i am more into ‘Äppelwoi’

• Today:

Chicken Teriyaki Style (with Vanilla, Garlic and Chili),
    Curry-Pumpkin Muffin,
    Salad of Red Lentils, Tomato, Red Onions and Capers.

• Frank sets the bar. I feel totally overmatched.

• Me too.. that looks extremely tasty.

“Can I be Frank with you?”

• By special Request from my Son: Curry

Mixture of English Blend and Thai Curry with a bit of added Vanilla, Chili, Coconut Milk, freshly crushed Ginger and whatever vegetable were at hand: Red Onions, Carot, Broccoli, Peas and Leek.

• When are you going to start selling food kits? :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion