Shruthi-1 in a post rock setting
  • Finally was able to get the shruthi into a song. It’s in the intro. Can’t remember what patch it was, but it’s one of the preprogrammed ones. Hopefully I can get the shruthi in more next song.

Hope y’all dig! Thanks for listening!

Coriolis

• Hey man! That’s a cool track! Thanks for sharing. It’s not the usual synth track… Very refreshing!

• Yep !
    Very cool track indeed.

I used it also into a rock record, into some bits of songs. Not really post-rock, not as well sounding as your works, but anyway…
    http://o-o-o.bandcamp.com/

Shruthis were used within the introduction song, the end of “a mirage”, throughout the whole “/eleven” song, filters were used within the end of “robots brush my teeth” (the messy, noisy part…), and “the hoax”.

• grea track! And I think the shruthi-1 fits very well into the overall sound! Which version do you have, the basic SMR-4?

• Thanks everyone!

@ MicMicMan, great stuff! I really dig the “prog/math” feel! Very well written compositions. It has been downloaded.

@ rumpelfilter, Thanks! Yep, SMR-4, Batch 9.

• Welp, we finally completed the EP! We recorded everything in our “Studio”, but, we did have it professionally mastered. Pulled out some Ambika on a couple tracks (2 & 5). Shruthi-1 in track 3. Couple Moogs, somd DSI stuff. We kept a strict policy of only using hardware. Software only for recording and mixing. Anyway, we did spend a LOT of time on these songs and I hope y’all enjoy them as much as we enjoyed creating them!

Bandcamp page

• That’s great!

• Very good!

The shruthi fits perfectly in the intro. Nice recording, mix and mastering.

• That’s a really great work. Sounds like Isis was one of your major influences?

• Thanks, yo!

@micmicman, yeah there’s some Isis influence there :).

• Oh and I lied. That’s Animoog at the beginning of the first track. But the rest is legit. Well except the drums. That’s Superior Drummer. But everything else is legit hardware. :P

• This topic is old, but anyway.
    We’ve launched a new record, named ‘octophone’. I took care of all the recording and mixing process.
    http://o-o-o.bandcamp.com/

It’s a ‘standard’ rock record, where guitar, bass, accoustic drums (and voice…) are the main elements. Still, i know that it may not be really obvious, but I have used a lot of mutable instrument stuff throughout the mixing process. I’ll give some clues.

• tracks 2, 4 and 7 features some lightly layered arpeggiated shruthis (mostly, I played a single note and used the arpeggiator and seqmix settings) and anushris for beefing up the mix and adding some additional ambiance elements ; what sounds a bit like a polyphonic synth towards the second half of song 4 is actually samples drowned in compression and reverb, then each channel is filtered through a SMR4 filter.
    • track 3 features a lot of shruthi work, with a lot of sample filtering using the digital and YM filterboards. Sometimes the sample are reversed, sometimes not… The ending arpeggios are 2 independent recordings of 3 polychained shruthis (4poles, cem, ssm) in duophonic mode. I love this settings. It adds quite a nice amount of randomness to things as simple as 8 notes arpeggios.
    • track 5 features some anushri works
    • track 8’s main drone is based on guitar samples drowned in reverb and compression and phasing and auto-panning (afair, no shruthi here, for once), and all the rythmic work is an accoustic drum kit sample, filtered through a digital filter + a graphic 27 bands equalizer found in a thrash + dual VCF filter that we were tweaking live with my girlfriend. Voice is obviously digitally filtered by the corresponding shruthi filter board. Actually, it’s the google translate guy :D The chords at the end are multiple layers of anushri.
    • track 9’s introduction is a drum sample through a shruthi polivoks filter ; the slight distortion on the voice is also obtained through some delay pedal then polivoks filter.
    • tracks 1 and 6 feature no MI stuff (shit happens).

I hope that it enlightens a bit what uses you can get from shruthis when you are not working on electronic music related projects.

Cheers, Pierre

• Yep, i feel a bit ashamed posting it but anyway
    I just wanted you to know that we’re setting up a crowdfunding project, hoping that we’ll finally get our record on actual cds. More informations here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion